Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Nightmare of Homework

How am I supposed to get it through my son’s head that he has to do his homework? I remind him and have even punished him but he still waits to the last minute if he remembers to do it at all.

When he decides to do it, he’s never prepared. For example – in science, he was supposed to measure certain items for homework. We do not own a metric ruler. He tried to blame it on me but I reminded him that he had not told me he needed it. We had to do a little scrambling to find resources on line to help. One website – http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/common.html - was filled with information but could not help us actually measure the items listed on the assignment.

Another time, he needed a shoe box to make a panorama for one of his classes and we had to go around the neighborhood asking for one. I guess he thought I would buy shoes just to have the box.

He won’t even look over the article I gave him about organizing his time and getting his homework done. It’s always a battle and we end up arguing - so again the homework doesn’t get done. I don’t know how many times I’ve restricted his use of the computer or his TV time.

His grades at school reflect the fact that he’s not doing his assignments. It doesn’t seem to make an impression when I explain the importance of school to his future. I wish I knew what I can say or do to get through to him.

No comments: