Monday, February 16, 2009

Bedtime

When is a child too old to be tucked into bed at night?

When my son was little, I loved to tuck him into bed and snuggle for a bedtime story. After he was old enough to read, we would sit together and take turns reading before I kissed him goodnight. Now that he's fourteen, it's more of a 'make sure he's in bed' thing, finish up any thoughts not yet discussed, quick kiss on the cheek and then I turn out the lights and head for my room.

When visiting relatives not too long ago, they ridiculed my son for saying he was ready to be tucked in and called him a baby. I was informed that it wasn't healthy for a child that old to be tucked into bed. He should just say good night and do it himself. Oh, so it's healthy to ridicule a child?

Everyone has advice to give on the proper procedures for raising a child. I say they're never too old to be told they're loved and that goes for 'grown-ups' too - so, that's my opinion.

No comments: